Friday, November 11, 2011

Abstractions are Everywhere

One of my favorite books is Creative Nature and Outdoor Photographer by Brenda Tharp.  I have bought each of the latest versions and continue to find inspiration in them.  The first time I ever saw an abstract image that had been created by camera movement was in this book.  The more I looked into impressionism created by digital camera, the more intrigued and inspired I became.  As a result, I have adopted camera motion as one of my favorite methods of photography and I have begun to include a few abstracts in my portfolio.  I do not share a lot of my abstract work, but I hope you enjoy the few that I do make public.  There is no right or wrong to creating abstract art in this way--at least, I don't think so--but for me it is a challenge.  My thinking process is definitely realistic and linear, so looking for abstractions is both a test and a reward.  It allows me to let loose a
bit and look at subjects in a different way.  The image below is an example--it is a school of koi in a pond.  I do realize that I am not the first to create abstract fish images and in that sense this shot is not original.  With abstraction, however, every shot is indeed unique.  If you have not tried this type of photography, give it a try.  Like me, it might loosen you up in your creative work!  Many thanks to Brenda Tharp and others who have influenced me.




2 comments:

  1. 'Abstract' photography is an art-form all unto itself. Love this one that you've created. Hope to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a wonderful feeling of bursting energy here that draws us in. I love the painterly quality of this as well.

    ReplyDelete