Saturday, November 19, 2011

Abstractions are Everywhere, Part II

I think one of the easiest ways to create an abstract photograph is by using water.  By looking for interesting patterns or by moving your camera, it is possible to come up with nice abstracct images.  A quick survey of abstract photographs on the Web will no doubt reveal the frequent use of water:  rivers, crashing ocean waves, water droplets captured with a macro lens, and whatever else the photographer's imagination might come up with.  (Although I do own a macro lens, I seldom use it and I don't have much luck at all with water droplets. For some incredible macro images of droplets, check out Brian Valentine's work on flickr:  Macros by LordV.)

When I want to create water abstracts, I usually head to the San Antonio Riverwalk.  With tourist boats, ducks, and fountains there is usually enough movement in the water to create something interesting.  The lighting changes throughout the day and year, so I have been able to capture seasonal colors, often combining them with camera movement to create my own abstract images.  Sometimes, however, the best way to capture an abstract is to simply look at the still water.  The image below was created by the reflection of Christmas lights on the river in downtown San Antonio.  The water is quiet but the colors are intense and merry--which is why I named this image "Christmas Merriment."  Enjoy!











1 comment: