Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Long Road in the Distance

One of my most favorite photography subjects is a country road.  I have shot roads all over the Texas Hill Country, and I have a few that I revisit from time to time.  But I found a road in Maine that seemed to sum up all that I see, feel and think when I shoot roads.  Driving in one direction, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the scene below.  I turned around, stopped and set up for the shot.  Although I had just come from that direction, I found myself wondering--as I always do when making road shots--"where does this road lead?"  I also find myself curious about who else has traveled the road I am on and, if they were alone, what did they think about and why were they at that spot?  If two people were traveling together, what did they talk about?  To me, a road represents the connections between people from past to present to future.  This road in Maine revealed all that and more!




A lot of photographers shoot roads of all kinds, for different reasons.  What do you feel and think about when you do?  Be sure to leave a comment in the comment box and let me know about your experiences with shooting back roads.  

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I absolutely love your images from the country road in Maine (saw more on your main site). I could see how you could get lost in thought in all the beauty and color.

    For me, roads such as these are ones that take you away from yourself and lead you to other places not only physically but emotionally as well. There is something very therapeutic about meandering down a long stretch and not knowing exactly where it will lead. Your images did this for me this morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete